Daily Current Events by Civils360 December 7, 2017- Civils360
Daily Current Events by Civils360 December 7, 2017
Centre-State relations: Read Here
- Supreme Court reserved judgment in the Centre-Delhi power tussle over who has the power of administration and governance over the National Capital. The AAP government had earlier challenged the Delhi High Court judgment declaring the LG as the sole administrator of Delhi.
- Delhi high court had earlier upheld the administrative powers of the Lieutenant-Governor (L-G) in matters of public order, land, police and services—including the power to appoint civil servants—in the national capital.
- High court emphasized the administrative capacity of the L-G while ruling that Delhi continues to be a Union territory under the Transaction of Business Rules despite Article 239 AA of the Constitution making some special provisions with respect to Delhi. Central government had argued that Delhi government cannot stake any claim to have executive power over the sensitive National Capital.
NGO : Read Here
- NGOs work with governments, community groups and the private sector – to develop and implement programs, monitor and evaluate their progress and help train people working on those projects.They negotiated subsidies, fair pricing and flexible terms of payment with utilities on behalf of marginalised people. They arranged access to loans from microfinance institutions for households that could not cover the cost of water or electricity connections.
- In India, for example, women’s NGOs in the state of Gujarat mobilised local communities to participate in urban development projects. They helped form community-based organisations to represent local interests and implemented community development projects — such as health services, adult literacy and child care.
- Women’s NGOs had made vital contributions to the success of development projects, but they were easily marginalised once those projects got off the ground.
Banking Reforms: Read Here
- The proposed recapitalisation of public sector banks will include a package of reforms.It is designed to be a reform and recap package. It ensures the money spent for recapitalisation is used to strengthen public sector bank balance sheets.
- Centre had earlier announced a Rs. 2.11 lakh crore recapitalisation plan for PSU banks.This was announced at a time when the banks have seen their capital erode, the capital for provisioning loan services have diminished and they have found it difficult to meet Basel- 3 norms.
- In an encouraging move, RBI said that banks which managed their balance sheets well would be given priority for capital infusion while others would have to show the resolve to reform.
Environment exploitation: Read Here
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) have shown a decline of over 8% in environmental crimes across the country. A total of 4,732 environmental crimes were recorded in 2016, marking a decline from 5,156 offences in the same category in 2015.
- Environmental crimes include offences related to Indian Forest Act, 1927, Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, Environmental (Protection) Act, 1986, Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981, and Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974.
- However environmental activists and organisations like Centre for Science and Environment argue that there is data mismatch in the figures published by the NCRB. Also, not a single case of air pollution has been recorded in Delhi in 2016 as per NCRB data.
Manufacturing: Read Here
- As per World Bank officials, there are changes in trend of manufacturing world wide.India also needs to consider bringing out appropriate policies soon to help its companies use their success in Information Technology and Information Technology-enabled Services to take advantage of the growing trend of “servicification” of manufacturing.
- Services are often goods as part of the manufacturing process, as well as more services such as after-sales support and add-on services are being embedded in goods during post-production.It is called servicification of manufacturing.
- India would need to swiftly announce suitable policies to help its companies to take advantage of the “opportunities in servicification of manufacturing.