Daily Current Events by Civils360 December 1, 2017- Civils360
Daily Current Events by Civils360 December 1, 2017
A deep depression in the Bay of Bengal intensifies into cyclonic storm ‘Ockhi.’Torrential rain hit southern districts of Tamil Nadu and Kerala claiming eight lives — four each in the two states.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Thursday issued a cyclone warning for South Kerala and adjoining districts of south Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep Islands.
The Indian Navy has launched search and rescue operations and set up a Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief operation in southern Kerala.
Nuclear Pact: Read Here
- India is on the verge to sign its tripartite Inter-Governmental Agreement involving Russia and Bangladesh for Rooppur Nuclear Power plant near Dhaka.
- It would be the first occasion where Delhi will conclude a tripartite civil nuclear project marking India’s global entry into a strategic sector. It will also boost the Make in India initiative amid a proposal by Delhi to Moscow for manufacturing of some nuclear power reactor equipment in India.
- The Rooppur plant involves two units, each with a capacity of 1200 MW and is situated on the bank of Padma river. Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant’s generation units will be based on VVER-1200 reactors of the 3+ generation technology.
North Korea: Read Here
- The US expects India to do more to help America and its international allies exert pressure on Pyongyang to give up its missile and nuclear weapons programme. It termed North Korea as a global threat.
- North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile yesterday which is supposed to have the capability to strike anywhere in the U.S.
- China had earlier conveyed to the US in the past that they share America’s commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.However, no significant steps have been taken for it.
Aadhaar: Read Here
- Prime Minister said the 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number would be used to track assets bought as benami property.It reaffirmed the government’s resolve to crack down on corruption.
- He also said measures such as demonetisation and a new goods and services tax had brought black money into the formal economy.
- The government is pushing the use of Aadhaar, saying it is necessary to plug leaks in its subsidy schemes for the poor and ensure benefits reach those targeted. Also, the government hopes to ensure financial transparency by pushing people to link Aadhaar to bank accounts and other services.
GDP: Read Here
- India’s economy regained momentum in the September quarter as the manufacturing sector revived itself amid impact from the July 1 implementation of the Goods and Services Tax. Gross domestic product (GDP) growth has thus moved up to 6.3%.
- The GDP growth figures probably indicate that the impact of demonetisation and GDP is not significant now as it was earlier.
- However, agriculture sector grew only by 1.7%.The performance in the agriculture sector has been held up by the non-crop sector. Another concern is the slow down in the exports from the services sector.