Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 20, 2017
Aadhaar: Read Here
- Unique Identification Authority of India reported that more than 200 Central and State government websites publicly displayed details of some Aadhaar beneficiaries. This is a direct violation of the right to privacy as intimate details are being shared in public.
- In reply to an RTI query, UIDAI revealed the information and it also had taken note of the breach and got the data removed from those websites.
- UIDAI also ensured that security audits are conducted on a regular basis to further strengthen security and privacy of data.
Brexit: Read Here
Britain is looking to carve out a new global role as a leader in industries of the future such as artificial intelligence and driverless cars after it exits the European Union in March 2019(BREXIT).
- This comes out as a part of plan to spend on research and development and regional growth strategies to help the economy grow after Brexit.
- The new Industrial Strategy is a push to create more skilled, high-paying jobs to help fortify Britain’s services-reliant economy against Brexit-related shocks.
- Another major plan, transport-focused Transforming Cities Fund will try to better link up Britain’s cities in search of productivity improvements and foster greater collaboration and innovation.
Health: Read Here
- Every other country that moved to middle-income status spends over 3% in public health. The recently released India State-level Disease Burden Initiative reveals the fact that the country’s enormous growth potential could be blocked by its ailing state of health care.
- India pays highest amount of Out of Pocket expenditure in the world for its healthcare spending. India’s disease burden has recently seen a shift from communicable to non communicable diseases.
- The inequalities in the disease burden suggest that regional growth disparities will only widen. Without a healthy country, India cannot reap the full benefits of demographic dividend.
Black Money: Read Here
Swiss parliamentary panel approves automatic information exchange with India. If an Indian has a bank account in Switzerland, the bank concerned will disclose the financial account data to authorities there; the Swiss authority will automatically forward the information to its peer in India.
- The pact will help provide a continuous access to details about alleged black money hoarders in once-all-secret Swiss banks.
- India and Switzerland, have so far committed to adopt this global standard for the automatic exchange of information (AEOI). However, AEOI does not cover domestic bank client confidentiality.
Electronics Manufacturing: Read Here
- The government is set to bring out a new policy to spur domestic electronics production by March 2018 in a bid to boost its flagship Make in India programme and curb the country’s trade deficit.
- Government has set a target of net zero imports in electronics by 2020, and the new policy will focus not only on ramping up domestic production, but also on making India an export hub.
- Policy will outline a framework to make India a global leader in product verticals such as medical and automotive electronics, besides mobile phone and consumer electronics.
- Revised policy strive to increase the competitiveness of the electronics manufacturing industry; innovation, R&D and start-ups, promoting research in emerging technologies.