Skip to content
REGULATING ACT OF 1773
- the act started central administration in India
- The limit for being a member of the court of proprietors was raised from £500 to £1000 share value which made the court of proprietors compact.
- Governor of Bengal was made Governor General of Bengal with Madras and Bombay presidencies subordinate to him.
- Company servants were prohibited from private trade and accepting presents and bribes from public
- A four-membered executive council, Governor General in Council (Council of 4) to assist Governor-general with 3 members from Board of Directors and 1 Commander in Chief
- Supreme Court established at fort William and a Chief Justice along with 3 judges from England appointed Court of Directors to report civil, revenue, and military affairs to British government
- Recognised political and administrative function of the company