Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 22, 2017- Civils360
Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 22, 2017
- The Union government has set up a ministerial committee to frame a new law that would attract penal provisions in the case of use of triple talaq.
- The Supreme Court has called it an arbitrary, unilateral practise and set aside the practice of talaq in a majority judgement.
- The legislation is planned after there are reports of ignorance of the judgment and lack of deterrence in the law. A penal law will highlight the need for justice and end exploitation.
Women in workplace: Read Here
- The proportion of women in senior roles of organizations is at 24% for the last decade. There are fewer women on the boards of S&P 500 companies and also women are less likely than men to be employed full-time.
- These are not the result of a lack of capability or motivation on the part of women and girls. They are due to cultural and organizational practices and mindsets that continue to promote a male-based definition of effective leadership.
- Recruiting women into organisation double the talent pool, improves financial performance, makes an organisation better place to work with.
International Cort of Justice: Read Here
- Justice Dalveer Bhandari is re-elected for the fifth vacancy for the tenure from 2018-2027 at the International Court of Justice.His presence ensures that India will continue to remain on the legal high table of the world at a time when several globally significant cases such as the one involving former Navy official Kulbhushan Jadhav against Pakistan is underway there.
- His tenure in the ICJ is significant as it coincided with the changing nature of the court itself as it reaffirmed arrival of the new global players like India and is a bolt to the traditional powerhouses of permanent members in UN Security Council.
- His judgement in the Supreme Court of India for the right to food campaign led to the release of the higher quantity of food grains to the people living below the poverty line. He also helped children from the less privileged sections of society gain access to basic infrastructure in the primary and secondary schools.
India International Trade Fair: Read Here
- Foreign participants in IITF are facing problems because of GST as they had to pay state GST on their sales apart from the Integrated GST (IGST) already paid earlier. Also, customers are not buying products due to high tax.
- They also said it was difficult for them to get their GST registration number because of complications in the form. It will negatively affect the foreign investment in India and pulls down India’s ease of doing business rankings.
- The scale of the IITF has reduced compared to previous years as well. The business was not on the expected level. The traders are having double thoughts on their participation in future years.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy: Read Here
- The government is likely to seek cabinet approval for amending the insolvency and bankruptcy code (IBC) to streamline the process of selecting buyers of stressed assets.
- It is aimed at preventing promoters who are willful defaulters or have a history of fraud from buying companies cheap. The amendment is aimed to streamline and separate the promoters who work under the corporate resolution process.
- The amendments are aimed to further streamline the due diligence process while choosing a buyer of stressed assets. But insolvency experts disagree with the proposed amendment and suggest there should not be a prescription on the choice of buyers from the government.
You may also like...