Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 17, 2017- Civils360
Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 17, 2017
Healthcare: Read Here
- World Health Organisation is keen that India should adopt universal health coverage (UHC).India has been toying with the idea of UHC since 2011 when a high-level expert committee submitted its report but nothing much came of it.
- WHO’s definition of UHC — one of the goals of sustainable development — includes financial risk protection, access to quality essential health care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all.
- Tuberculosis also came up for discussion in WHO Global Ministerial Conference. For India, the three pillars of TB elimination are Aadhaar, Jan Dhan Yojana and Nikshay, a web-based platform for notification and tracking of TB patients along with National Strategic Plan for Tuberculosis Elimination 2017-25.
Sanitation: Read Here
- The report by Water Aid, Out Of Order:The State of the World’s Toilets 2017 stated that 355 million women and girls lack access to a toilet. India has the highest number of people (732 million) without access to toilets.
- Despite the changes brought by the government’s Swachh Bharat (Clean India) Mission India’s state of sanitation remain abysmal. SBA increased the country’s sanitation coverage from 39% to 65% by November 2017, according to government data.
- In addition to the increased risk of disease, the lack of sanitation facilities also makes women and girls susceptible to harassment.
GST: Read Here
- Union Cabinet on Thursday approved the creation of the National Anti-profiteering Authority to ensure that businesses pass on the benefits of GST to consumers.
- The authority has been granted wide-ranging powers, including to cancel the registration of offending firms in extreme cases.
- The decision comes after GST Council held that restaurants had failed to pass on the benefit of input tax credit to customers by way of lower prices.
- The measure will keep a check on inflation as it will help in monitoring the prices of the products for which rate cuts have been made.
Credit Rating : Read Here
- Moody’s Investors Services upgrades India’s sovereign ratings to Baa2 from Baa3, giving credit to the government for its wide-ranging economic and institutional reforms.
- The economic and institutional reforms will enhance India’s high growth potential and its large and stable financing base for government debt. It can also contribute to a gradual decline in the general government debt burden over the medium term.
- A rating upgrade for India comes at a time when rating agencies Standard and Poor’s (S&P) and Moody’s have cut China’s sovereign rating. Moody’s cut China’s long-term local and foreign currency issuer ratings to A1 from Aa3 on the belief that financial power of China will erode in the near future.
- Moody’s also recognized acknowledged improvements to the monetary policy framework; measures to address the overhang of non-performing loans in the banking system; and measures such as demonetization, the Aadhaar system of bio-metric accounts and targeted delivery of benefits through the Direct Benefit Transfer system intended to reduce informality in the economy.
Prelims related fact
Earth-like Exoplanet discovered around nearby star is potentially habitable. The star-planet system is zipping towards Earth. In about 79,000 years, they will replace Proxima Centauri and Proxima b as our closest star and closest potentially habitable exoplanet, respectively. The exoplanet was discovered using High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) in Chile.