Daily Current Events by Civils360 November 9, 2017
Delhi Air Pollution: Read Here
- Delhiites faced toxic levels of pollution forcing the government to shut schools, stop the entry of trucks carrying non-essential goods and ban construction.
- Air Quality Index of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) had hit ‘severe’ for the first time this season, with a value of 448.
- Neighbouring Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Gurugram and Noida were also in the ‘severe’ category.
- The main reasons for the scenario as per CPCB are the still conditions on the ground coupled with winds bringing pollutants from crop burning as well as moisture from neighbouring States had led to the dense haze settling on the National Capital Region.
- High humidity, low wind speed continued to create conditions favourable for fog.
Mangrove: Read Here
- Maharashtra Mangrove Cell has invited bids for construction of a compound wall as part of its efforts to protect mangroves from being encroached across the city.
- There are 5800-hectares of mangrove cover in the city but the 10-foot wall will be constructed only in those parts of the city where encroachments threaten the mangroves.
- The state cell received permission for construction of the wall from the Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority (MCZMA) in April.
Judicial Appointments: Read Here
- Supreme Court recalls order to take up delay in Memorandum of Procedure. The bench disagreed with the decision of a two-judge Bench to publicly hear reasons for the government’s delay in finalising the norms for appointment of judges to the Supreme Court and High Courts.
- Two years elapsed since a five-judge Constitution Bench after striking down the government’s NJAC (National Judicial Appointments Commission) law, tasked the Centre in December 2015 with the job of drafting a fresh MoP. Still, there is no institutional appointment mechanism.
- The core issue of judicial pendency, vacancy in judicial officers and judges remain unsolved and can have far-reaching implications in India’s judicial system.
Regulatory Reform: Read Here
- Telangana is on top of the yearly state-wise ranking on the ‘Business Reforms Action Plan’ (BRAP) in 2017- leader of the ease of doing the business ranking.
- The ranking is dynamic and till they are frozen, these positions could change due to intense competition between States.
- The broad areas of assessment this year include online single window system, online tax payment, contract enforcement, land availability and allotment, obtaining electricity and water connection, enablers for transparency, tax, labour regulation, construction permits, environmental registration as well as commercial dispute resolution.
Climate Change: Read Here
- India is among a small group of countries that are on track to achieve its 2030 climate targets as per reports.
- In its NDC, India had promised to reduce its emissions intensity — greenhouse gas emissions per unit of GDP — by 33 to 35 percent below 2005 levels by the year 2030.
- It also says that the projections made in India’s draft National Electricity Plan of 2016 — which aims at stabilisation of coal-powered electricity to 250 GW over the next decade and an expansion of renewable energy to 275 GW by 2026/27 were expected to have a substantial impact on emissions.